I discovered this recipe in the San Francisco Chronicle several years ago and have altered it slightly. I think a good barrel fermented Viura will go well with this delightful Tapa. Try Bodegas Muga Blanco Rioja
Ingredients for Stuffed Piquillo Peppers with Tuna Salad
- 7 ounce can of tuna in olive oil. Spanish tuna is so much better. You can buy it at the Spanish Table stores or online.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 hardboiled egg, chopped
- One 12 ounce jar of piquillo peppers. I buy my Piquillo peppers at Whole Foods Market
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sherry vinegar
Instructions for Stuffed Piquillo Peppers with Tuna Salad
- Squeeze the excess olive oil from the tuna and place tuna in a bowl and mash with a fork.
- Add the mayonnaise, celery, egg, and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully handle the peppers, they tear easily.
- Drain off the liquid and place peppers on a paper towel.
- Stuff the piquillo peppers with the tuna salad.
- Arrange on a serving platter and sprinkle the peppers with a few drops of sherry vinegar.